Fourth Mayors' Binational Bicycle Ride Category: Events
All are invited to join 4FrontED leaders in the Fourth Mayors’ Binational Bicycle Ride, set to begin at 8 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 19, in the east parking lot of the Yuma Civic Center. The bicyclists will take off on a route through Somerton, Gadsden and San Luis—to experience the beauty and charm of the southwestern Arizona region before finishing in San Luis Rio Colorado (SLRC), Sonora.
Cycled at a leisurely pace in increments, the family-friendly ride stretches over 25 miles and provides a unique opportunity to experience the binational 4FrontED region. Those wishing to finish the ride in full will cross the U.S.-Mexico border at San Luis Port of Entry I, and are reminded to bring proper documentation for their return to the United States. SLRC Mayor Santos Gonzalez Yescas will host a finisher’s celebration at a park near San Luis Rio Colorado’s City Hall, with live music, local craft and food vendors, and medals for bicyclists.
More information on participation:
• Bicyclists of all ages and levels are welcome; those under 18 are to be accompanied by a parent/guardian.
• No prior experience necessary. The ride will be guided by area public safety for the public’s safety along the route and in case anyone needs any assistance.
• All participants are to bring their own bicycle, helmet, and proper documentation to cross the international border.
• Sunscreen and comfortable athletic attire is recommended.
• Arrive at the Yuma Civic Center’s parking lot at 7:00 a.m. for registration and to fill out a waiver. City and County leaders will be on site at the parking lot to welcome the crowd and give brief speeches before embarking on the route.
• The first 300 people to arrive for the 7 a.m. registration will receive a free, official participant’s t-shirt. A variety of sizes are available. No pre-orders or holds.
Contact Intergovernmental Affairs Specialist Lucy Valencia at (928) 373-5016 or Lucy.Valencia@YumaAz.gov with any questions. If you would like to participate in the event as a sponsor, contact Executive Director of 4FrontED Nazzer Mendez at (928) 373-5013 or nmendez@4frontED.org.